Sunday 1 January 2017

Fresia - Story of a Mapuche Women


   


Imagene: La ruca (Vivienda Mapuche)

Dr.Rossana Betancur Escobar 

         (Original Story in Spanish. Translated into English by Mayara Floss) 

         My name is Fresia. I am a woman, Mapuche, 68 years old.I belong to a rural community towards the coast of Chile. My ancestors are of origin is Lafquenche*. I live with my daughter Rosa.She is the youngest of my children.I had 4 children. The others men went out to try their luck to Santiago ...There they formed a family. A year ago they returned with their wives and grandchildren to a house next to mine.

      A year and a half ago my health declined.I did not feel very well.I was without courage, nor the strength to go and sell my vegetables to the people or feed my animals.

                                     ... Same time my partner left ... 


      Rosa started to worry. She took me to the Machi** and said it would be good if we go go to the doctor but before we did a ceremony to heal my spirit she wanted to go elsewhere.

       We went to Carahue***. How strange was everything ... I do not remember much that they told to me.I only had many examinations.One of them was very unpleasant - a tube by the mouth.Before the examination I did not want to eat.After the examination I was worse and vomited.

        We went back to the house but my daughter was quiet.Next time we stayed an hour in Temuco with other doctors.They examined me & told that I have a cancer in the esophagus ...The only thing I noticed was the young lady in front of me put her hand near my heart ... that place was hurting me for so long.

        My daughter left me in a chair. Waited to be comfortable and said  "Mommy, I have to talk to the doctor" ...

   
         After a while she came back by my side ... I do not know why, but I felt that she had cried. But I did not want to ask her. “They  can not operate because you are very thin ...”. “Well, dear, I told you ... it will be a long wait”.

       We were in the micro bus to return to our house with my eyes fixed at the window ...

 I remembered how my children were born,I attended my sick mother,left her house to follow my partner,told my children that they will study because I was not going to stay for sowing... and now I realise that they are my seed.

      That night  was the most beautiful one.My partner came in my dream.
He said: "Fresia do not follow me,you have to go back to the doctors,take good medicine and get fat.Children still need you .. Every time you need me, I'll be by your side ...". This gave me strength to fight back.


      Here we went again ... to Temuco. I'm going to take chemotherapy.They say it's for the tumour to shrink. But before they have to put a hose outside of my throat  so I can feed.

     The return to home was different today... I feel happy ... I look in to mirror and found that I have recovered.Who I am ... I AM FRESIA ... AND I AM HERE.

* The Lafquenches or Lafkenches is the name given to those Mapuches who inhabit coastal areas of the region of La Araucanía at the province of Valdivia in the Southern Zone of Chile.

**Machi: Local folk healer

*** Carahue: A city and commune in southern Chile. It is located 56 km west of Temuco on the northern bank of the Imperial River. 








Author:


Rossana Betancur Escobar is a resident doctor in Family Medicine at U de la Frontera in Chile.She started to write this material as a compilation of life histories of her patients throughout her 9 years of work. This is mainly based on rural health and cultural relevance as Mapuche population predominates in the area which she respect and greatly admire. In 2009, she started working in a Health Unit as a family doctor, at Hernan Henriquez Hospital in Temuco, Chile. The unit was responsible for caring the the patients in their homes whether due to acute pathology or terminal cancer. People come from all over the region and from the city.She continue to attend a large percentage of rural population.She is trying to get the attention of her colleagues in other specialities in a hospital of high complexity to raise awareness about patients being cared at home and with the support of their families. So was born this idea to tell patients life stories and how they have experienced the sick. Today she is  working in a rural health centre inserted in the interior of Mapuche communities and she hope to write more stories.




Spanish version
Fresia
Imagene: La ruca (Vivienda Mapuche)
                   Mi nombre es Fresia. Soy mujer,mapuche,tengo 68 años. Pertenezco a  una comunidad rural, hacia la costa. Mis ancestros son  de origen es lafquenche.Vivo junto a mi hija Rosa.Ella es la menor de de mis hijos.Tuve  4…los demás ,varones,salieron a probar suerte a Santiago…por allá formaron familia.Hace un año volvieron,con sus esposas y  mis nietos,construyeron sus casa junto a la mia.
              Un año y medio atrás,mi salud decayó.No me sentía muy bien, estaba sin valor, ni fuerzas para ir a vender mis verduras al pueblo, o alimentar mis animales.
                                   
                               …Mismo tiempo que mi compañero partió…

                  Rosa se empezó a preocupar.Me llevó donde la machi y ella dijo que sería bueno que fuera al médico ,pero que antes hiciéramos una ceremonia para sanar mi espíritu , que quería irse a otro ladoFuimos a Carahue.Que raro se veía todo…No recuerdo mucho que me dijeron, solo que tenia que hacerme muchos exámenes. Uno de ellos muy desagradable, un tubo por  laboca.De antes ya no quería comer,después del examen hasta vomité.Volvimos a la casa, con mi hija…calladitas.
                 Al tiempo ,le entregaron una hora para Temuco,donde otros doctores.Meexaminaron.Me  dijeron que era un cáncer, en esófago …yo lo único que me fijé era en la señorita al frente mio que se ponía la mano cerca del corazón…ese que me dolia tanto, hace tanto tiempo.
                 Mi hija me dejó en una silla..”espérememamita,tengo que hablar  con el doctor”…Al rato estaba de nuevo  a mi lado…no sé porque sentí que había llorado,pero no le quisé preguntar.”Mamita el doctor dice que no se puede operar, porque está muy flaquita…Bueno hija, le dije…tocará esperar”.
                   Ibamos en la micro de vuelta a nuestra casa, con la mirada pegada a la ventana….recordé cuando nacieron mis hijos…cuando atendí a mi mamita enferma…cuando dejé su casa para seguir a mi compañero….cuando le pedí a mis hijos que estudiaran porque yo no me iba a quedar para semilla…y ahora me doy cuenta que ellos son mi semilla.
                   Noches atrás, fue la mashermosa.Mi hombre, en sueños me vino a visitar…”Fresia no me sigas, tienes que volver a los doctores, tomar buen remedio y engordar.Aun haces mucha falta a los nuestros…Cada vez que tu me necesites, a tu lado estaré”….
                  Aquí vamos de nuevo…a Temuco.Me van a hacer quimioterapia, dicen que es para que el tumor achique.Pero antes tienen que poner una manguera, esta vez por fuera de mi guata, para que pueda alimentarme.
                  El regreso a casa hoy es diferente…me siento contenta..miro y me encuentro…he recuperado quien soy…SOY FRESIA…Y AQUÍ ESTOY.

Author:
Rossana Betancur Escobar es  residente segundo año Medicina familiar en la U de la Frontera. "Este material inedito, es el que he empezado a preparar  y que es la recopilacion de las historia de vida de mis pacientes a lo largo de mis 9 años de trabajo. Este se ha dado principalmente en salud rural y con pertinencia cultural,donde predomina en mi zona la poblacion Mapuche,la cual respeto y admiro mucho.A partir del año 2009 comencé a trabajar  en una unidad a cargo de un medico familiar en Hospital Hernan Henriquez de Temuco,Chile, una unidad que atiende pacientes en sus domicilios, ya sea por patologias agudas o cancer terminal.Llegan personas de toda la region y de la ciudad y sigo atendiendo un gran porcentaje de poblacion rural. Buscando una forma de encantar a mis colegas de otras especialidades, en un hospital de alta complejidad,para que deriven pacientes para ser atendidos en su casas y con apoyo de sus familias, es que nace esta forma de contar sus historias de vida y como han vivenciado el enfermar.Hoy me encuentro trabajando en un centro de salud rural, inserto al interior de comunidades mapuches….ahí se comenzará a escribir nuevas historias…."

No comments:

Post a Comment